[bananas] AIPS on Macs

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri May 6 15:40:26 EDT 2016

The computer (gala) on which the Mac binaries are computed is a very old
iMac4.1 running OSX 10.4.11.  We are going to replace this machine with
a new Mac mini running OSX version El Capitan.  If we were to compute
the Mac binaries on this version, all AIPS users on Macs would have to
upgrade their versions of OSX to El Capitan.  To avoid this, we intend
to run a virtual machine under an older version of OSX so that AIPS
users will only have to have an OS of that version or greater.  We are
hoping to have this be version 10.7 but that has not yet been determined.

If you are a Mac user with an older OS that you do not plan to upgrade
please let me know what version you are running.  In that way we can
hope to determine the maximum version that will be acceptable on the new
machine.  This new machine will probably not be in use for 2-3 weeks
from today.

Thanks

Eric Greisen