[bananas] New "architecture" now supported in AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Feb 4 15:28:44 EST 2009

Those of you running a MNJ regularly may have noticed that a new
architecture called LNX64 is now supported in AIPS.  It uses a very
recent version of the Intel compiler run on a 64-bit Linux computer.
Many computers these days are 64-bit in their hardware and, at least at
NRAO, many are now getting 64-bit based operating systems (RedHat 5 at
NRAO).  We have tested the new version and it appears to get a modest
(about 10%) improvement in performance compared to the 32-bit "LINUX"
load modules prepared with a somewhat older version of the Intel
compiler even on modest-memory, older Pentium IV systems.  This LNX64
also allows the user to throw a lot of memory at the pseudo-AP to deal
with really large imaging problems (see last 2 AIPSLetters).  Whether
this is a good idea or not depends on how much memory the computer has
and what else is going on at the time.

New installations on 64-bit machines will be asked to confirm their
architecture as LNX64 by install.pl.  You may confirm it or change to
LINUX as you wish.  Changing an existing installation to LNX64 from
LINUX is a bit more complicated.  I would recommend running install.pl
using the existing $AIPS_ROOT but selecting LNX64 architecture - be sure
to edit $AIPS_ROOT/HOSTS.LIST in advance to specify that the computer
you are using is LNX64.  Simply changing the architecture and running
the MNJ might get cvs and rsync to copy a lot of stuff, but it will not
set up the new $SYSLOCAL area that you will require.

I should warn you that we have run some tests on LNX64 and a few users
at NRAO are now using it.  However, it has not had the level of testing
that the large body of AIPS users give to the LINUX version every week.

We expect to try testing multi-threading and other performance
enhancements using this new architecture.

Eric Greisen