[bananas] Linux kernel problems

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed May 23 16:42:30 EDT 2007

I have been chastized for warning people about bugs that will destroy
your ability to run AIPS.  Let me apologize for trying to be helpful.

I quote

> Um...2.6.9 isn't anywhere even close to the latest Linux kernel!
>
> I'm running 2.6.20.11 on my laptop, and even my oldest current
> system--c. 2004, based on Fedora Core 3 (legacy)--is running 2.6.12.

and further quote

     2.6.9-55 is the stock kernel from Redhat 4 update-5 which
just came out.

     The point being that anyone who has a stock *up
to date* Redhat install will have 2.6.9-55 which exhibits
this problem.

     For what it's worth 2.6.9-55 is basically redhat  backporting
2.6.20

So perhaps people running non-RedHat systems have not got a problem.
But anyone planning to upgrade theor kernels should always be careful
and not make assumptions that they are devoid of errors.  RedHat users
should be most wary.

Eric Greisen