[bananas] Big SCSI disks for AIPS

T. Joseph W. Lazio lazio at rsd.nrl.navy.mil
Fri Jan 7 17:13:45 EST 2000

TMR> We just purchased a bunch (98) Seagate Baracuda 50 disk drives
TMR> that have a formatted capacity of about 50GB each. These are
TMR> standard 3.5-inch disks, 7200 rpm, and come in LVD Parallel SCSI
TMR> as well as Fibre Channel. They work great and generate about half
TMR> as much heat at the 18GB disks. The performance of each disk is
TMR> anywhere from 14MB/sec on the inside cylinders to 24MB/sec on the
TMR> outer cylinders.  The seek and rotational latencies are the same
TMR> as the 18GB disk so the random I/O performance is about the same
TMR> as the 18GB disk but it is still reasonable fast.

TMR> They are available for under $1300 per drive so don't pay more
TMR> than that for those drives. You will also need an enclosure with
TMR> power supplies, cables, ...etc. so add that into your cost. It is
TMR> pretty cool to have 8 drives in a single enclosure that adds up
TMR> to about 400GB.

Thanks for the response.  We're going to go with 50 GB disks also,
though a considerably smaller quantity!

-- Joseph

--
T. Joseph W. Lazio              voice: (202) 404-6329
Code 7213, Remote Sensing Div.  fax:   (202) 404-8894
Naval Research Lab              email: lazio at rsd.nrl.navy.mil
Washington, DC 20375-5351 USA   Web:   http://rsd-www.nrl.navy.mil/7213/lazio/