[bananas] Big SCSI disks for AIPS

Thomas M. Ruwart tmr at lcse.umn.edu
Tue Jan 4 10:55:42 EST 2000

We just purchased a bunch (98) Seagate Baracuda 50 disk drives
that have a formatted capacity of about 50GB each. These are standard
3.5-inch disks, 7200 rpm, and come in LVD Parallel SCSI as well as
Fibre Channel. They work great and generate about half as much heat
at the 18GB disks. The performance of each disk is anywhere from
14MB/sec on the inside cylinders to 24MB/sec on the outer cylinders.
The seek and rotational latencies are the same as the 18GB disk so the
random I/O performance is about the same as the 18GB disk but it
is still reasonable fast.

They are available for under $1300 per drive so don't pay more than that
for those drives. You will also need an enclosure with power supplies,
cables, ...etc. so add that into your cost. It is pretty cool to have 8 drives
in a single enclosure that adds up to about 400GB.

Contact me, Tom Ruwart (tmr at lcse.umn.edu) if you want/need more
information on these drives.

-Tom