[bananas] AIPS 15APR98 now on CDROM

Pat Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Wed Apr 22 08:31:46 EDT 1998

On 16 Apr 1998 11:34:07 -0400, I wrote:

> The 15APR98 release of AIPS, the Astronomical Image Processing System, is
> now available. ...
> You may obtain AIPS via ANONYMOUS ftp:
>
> 	aips.nrao.edu:/aips/15APR98.tar.gz  (GNU zipped, 23.1 Megabytes)
> or	aips.nrao.edu:/aips/15APR98.tar.Z   (Compressed, 33.4 Megabytes)

> A CDrom version of this release (with live binaries for Intel/Linux and
> Solaris) should be available in the very near future.  A second
> announcement will be made when this option can be exercised.

AIPS is now available on CDROM[0].  The package includes:

     - full source code (though the TEXT/PUBL area is gzipped)
     - "live" binaries for Solaris[1] and Linux[2]
     - FITS files for the DDT suite (small, medium, and large)
     - ability to run from CDrom or install to your hard disk
     - ability to switch between the above two options.

For other information including order forms, see the main AIPS web page:

	http://www.cv.nrao.edu/aips/

				- Pat.

[0] While NRAO currently does not charge for AIPS orders, we reserve the
    right to institute a media charge at any time.

[1] Solaris 2.5 and above; SC4.2 compilers used.  Ultra-specific compiler
    options NOT used, i.e. these are not SUL binaries.  They will run
    on Sparc Ultras, but you may gain a speed advantage by building SUL-
    specific binaries yourself, or downloading them from aips.nrao.edu.

[2] Compiled on Red Hat 5.0 (glibc based) with the egcs/g77/gcc suite
    (egcs 1.0.1).  Binaries will not work on older Red Hat systems; you
    can rebuild on such older systems, but your binaries will then run
    about twice as slow as RH5/egcs/g77.

--
  \|/  ____  \|/   Pat Murphy; email http://orangutan.cv.nrao.edu/kippure.html
   @~ / oO \ ~@                  Division Head, NRAO/Charlottesville Computing