[asac] Phasing of science capability

Richard Hills rhills at alma.cl
Tue Oct 12 12:16:24 EDT 2010

Dear All,

We have been discussing how we get from the start of Early Science to
Full Operations.  It obviously doesn't make sense to suppose that we
will stay with one (low) level of capability and then suddenly jump to
the final state.  If we are to make more capabilities available,
however, the users need to know what they can apply for and when.  Here
is an outline for discussion on how we might reasonably proceed.  This
has been shown to the CSV and Ops reviews and we should now take it up
at ASAC.

The main issues at this stage are whether this phased approach is the
way to go and, if so, does the sequence of capabilities make sense, or
if not how should it be adjusted.

Best Richard

Richard Hills                Phone: +56 2 467 6175
ALMA Project Scientist       Fax:   +56 2 467 6104
Av El Golf 40, Piso 18       Apmnt: +56 2 474 1642
Santiago, Chile              Mobile +56 97 608 1582