[asac] Liaisons

Richard Hills rhills at alma.cl
Wed Jun 2 06:20:32 EDT 2010

Dear ASAC,

I did discuss this with my colleagues in Chile after the last telecon
and I am sorry that it has taken so long to get back to you to explain
the outcome, but I have been distracted by a family problem.

I fear that all this is not quite as straight-forward as we imagined
during the telecon.  As you know ALMA is subjected to a great deal of
review and oversight - there is the Annual External Review (which is
presently carrying out a 6-month check-up to fill any gaps) as well as
the various panels looking at specific areas and of course any number of
reviews of individual subsystems and components.  The role of ASAC is to
provide advice to the Board and the Project on *scientific* matters.  It
is absolutely right that the committee needs to be well informed about
the state of the project in order to be able to give such advice, but we
do need to be careful that the quest for such information does not turn
into another layer of oversight on the day to day running of the project.
The feeling was that proposed liaison mechanism was going too far down
this road.  So the suggestion is that we proceed along the following
lines:

As far as the Commissioning is concerned ASAC nominates some additional
members to "standing" review panel - presently Bob Wilson, Nario Kuno,
Peter Schilke and Melvyn Wright.  I would suggest one more from each of
the partners.  At the moment this meets by telecon (14:00 UTC on the
third Friday of each month) and will have a face to face meeting on
8/9th Oct here in Chile.

For the "Operations Preparations" there is a similar small panel channel
chaired by George Helou which will be meeting on 11th and 12th Oct.
Again I suggest that ASAC nominates three additional members, one from
each partner, to that.  Please talk to Lars-Ake about the details of
that.  He will be able to provide the links to give information about
the current activities.

I also think that it is a good idea to have an ASAC member identified as
the laison to each of the ARC's.  Obviously that needs to be discussed
with the ARC managers and I haven't had a chance to tell them about this
yet.

For the other areas, which are more focussed on particular parts of the
system, the suggestion is that we will continue to provide you with the
monthly reports, which do in fact contain a great deal of detail about
progress and problems in all areas.  If you have questions or want to
follow up on specific topics then we will be happy to respond, but we
would like to route this through people who have the full picture,
rather than bothering the front-line managers, engineers and scientists.
  So please send these requests to me in the case of construction and
technical items and to Lars-Ake if they relate to operations,
user-interactions, etc.

The latest reports are at
http://www.alma.cl/~science/docs/10_Management/Monthly_reports/ALMA%20Report%202010%2003.pdf
http://www.alma.cl/~science/docs/10_Management/Monthly_reports/ALMA%20Report%202010%2004.pdf

I hope that this message will not get you, the ASAC members, too upset.
  Having been on lots of such bodies myself, I know only too well that
the thing that really makes external committees frustrated is the
feeling that they are being kept in the dark.  I hope that you can
accept that what is proposed here is a reasonable balance between making
sure that you really are fully informed while enabling the management to
get on with the day to day running the Project, for which of course they
are accountable to the Board.

Best Richard

Richard Hills                Phone: +56 2 467 6175
ALMA Project Scientist       Fax:   +56 2 467 6104
Av El Golf 40, Piso 18       Apmnt: +56 2 474 1642
Santiago, Chile              Mobile +56 97 608 1582