[asac] Feedback from the Board

Richard Hills rhills at alma.cl
Wed Nov 26 07:13:22 EST 2008

Dear All,

As you know the Board met about 10 days ago and were pleased to receive
the ASAC report.  I have written some notes (more from the Project than
from the Board) which are attached.  Also the final version of the ASAC
report which had includes some small corrections.

The Board wants your comments on the revised milestones, which were put
forward at the Board meeting but have not yet been adopted.  We should
discuss that at the next telecon.

The Board also received the "work in progress" on ALMA development.  The
specific comments were that the Board:
"
Urged the ASAC to consider the tenor of the McCray Report before the
ANASAC writes a white paper.

Encouraged the ALMA Development Working Group to maintain the focus on
the fundamental scientific questions that require ALMA enhancements and
to address these questions in a quantitative way.
"
It is clear that there is some more work to do on that.

The Board also approved the next ASAC meeting to take place at the OSF.
  The Board meeting may possibly be moved later - e.g. to April - but my
feeling is that it is too late to try to move the ASAC later too.  There
will be plenty for us to do in January.  If the Board meeting does move
to April we will be able to spend more time on writing things up.

Please get in touch with Ann Edmunds (e-mail above) regarding your
travel plans in January.  You will need to get to Santiago by midday on
the 27th at the latest.  It should be possible for people to leave the
OSF on the afternoon of the 29th which means that it is just possible to
catch some flights out of Santiago that evening if you really have to,
but staying at least one more night is strongly recommended.

I'm on holiday at the moment.  Back 5th Dec.

Best Richard

Richard Hills                Phone: +56 2 467 6175
ALMA Project Scientist       Fax:   +56 2 467 6104
Av El Golf 40, Piso 18       Apmnt: +56 2 474 1642
Santiago, Chile              Mobile +56 97 608 1582