[asac] [almanews] FYI: "Millimeter and Submillimeter Astronomy at High Angular Resolution"

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Mon Dec 1 10:17:54 EST 2008

First Announcement on

"Millimeter and Submillimeter Astronomy at High Angular Resolution"

June 8-12, 2009

Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan

Sponsored by

Academia Sinica – Institute of Astronomy & Astrophysics

National Science Council

National Astronomical Observatory of Japan

National Radio Astronomical Observatory

Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics

Co-hosted by

The Astronomical Society of the Republic of China

http://www.asiaa.sinica.edu.tw/taipei09

1. Motivation

In recent years, the Submillimeter Array (SMA), the Plateau de Bure
Interferometer (PdBI), and the Combined Array for Research in
Millimeter-wave Astronomy (CARMA), Nobeyama Millimeter Array (NMA) have bee
producing exciting scientific results at arc-second or even sub arc-second
resolution. At the same time, large single-dish telescopes, including
Nobeyama 45 m, IRAM 30 m, CSO 10m, JCMT 15 m, NANTEN 4 m, ASTE 10m, APEX
12m, SPT 10m, GBT 100m, LMT 50m (near completion), CCAT 25m (under
development), continue to push the frontier both in sensitivity and
wavelength. In 2011, early science using ALMA may start, and in 2012, full
operation is planned to start.

It is, therefore, most timely for us to hold a conference in 2009 to review
the latest findings, obtained through millimeter and submillimeter
observations at high angular resolution, and to outline the road map guidin
us towards the ALMA era.

The topics to be addressed at the conference are:

The solar system

Galactic low-mass and high-mass star formation

Outflows/Jets

Protoplanetary disks/Debris disks

Evolved stars

Nearby galaxies

Galactic center

AGNs and ultra luminous galaxies

High-Z galaxies

Astrochemistry

Instrumentation

2. Conference Organization

The conference will consist of 5 full-day sessions covering the
above-mentioned topics. We expect to accommodate a total number of 250
participants. We plan to have about 40 invited talks (~30 minutes each). In
addition, short oral contributions (~20 minutes each) and poster
presentations will be arranged. Since the time for talks is limited, poster
presentations will play an important role at this conference. There will be
no formal conference proceedings. However, we plan to make all the
presentations, including posters, available at our conference website.

3. Invited Speakers (confirmed)

Yuri Aikawa                                                 Dan Marrone

Ray Blundell                                                Nimesh Patel

Bryan Butler                                                 Luis F.
Rodríguez

Paola Caselli                                                 Kazushi
Sakamoto

Huei-Ru Chen                                               Richard Schilizz

Anne Dutrey                                                  Hsien Shang

Josep Miquel Girart                                      Leonard Testi

Thijs de Graauw                                            Din-Van Trung

Frederic Gueth                                              Wei-Hao Wang

Myungshin Im                                              Jonathan Williams

David Jewitt                                                  David Wilner

Ryohei Kawabe                                           Masako Yamada

Hyo-Ryeoung Kim                                      Ji Yang

Kotaro Kohno                                              Min Yun

Chin-Fei Lee                                                Qizhou Zhang

4. Registration

There will be a registration fee (150 USD/person for early registration and
200 USD/person for regular registration), which covers the abstract book,
lunch boxes, coffee/snacks for breaks, and the conference banquet. The
deadlines for the early and regular registrations are February 28, 2009 and
April 30, 2009, respectively. Registration will start on December 15, 2008
via our conference website (http://www.asiaa.sinica.edu.tw/taipei09).

5. Abstract Submission

All the participants are encouraged to present their latest scientific
results at the conference. Abstracts of the presentations will be submitted
through our conference website. Although we will try to accommodate as many
talks as possible, a limited number of presentations will be selected for
short oral contributions. The deadline for the abstract submission is March
31, 2009

6. Location and Accommodation

The conference will be held in the newest conference hall on the main campu
of the Academia Sinica (http://www.sinica.edu.tw), located on the eastern
side of Taipei City, while your accommodation can be arranged in the
downtown area so that it would be easy for you to explore Taipei City durin
your free time. We will provide free shuttle buses (scheduled) between the
hotels and the conference venue. For students and young scientists, low-cos
accommodation on the campus of the Academia Sinica can be also arranged.
More details on the accommodation will be provided in our conference
website.

7. Science Organizing Committee (SOC)

Chris Carilli                                                    Nagayoshi
Ohashi

Minho Choi                                                    Anneila
Sargent

Pierre Cox                                                        Leonardo
Testi

Anne Dutrey                                                    Min Yun

Paul T. P. Ho (Chair)                                      David Wilner

Wing Ip
Christine Wilson

Ryohei Kawabe                                               Satoshi Yamamot

Karl Menten                                                     Ji Yang

Lee Mundy

8. Local Organizing Committee (LOC)

Cindy Chiu

Patrick Koch

Sheng-Yuan Liu (Chair)

Chin-Fei Lee

Yu-Nung Su

Shigehisa Takakuwa

9. 2008-2009 Timeline

December 15: Second Announcement and open registration

February 28: End of early registration

March 31: End of abstract submission

April 30: End of regular registration

May 15: Third announcement/Program available

May 31: Final announcement

June 07: Meeting

10. Questions

Please send all your questions to our conference mail address:
taiwan09soc at asiaa.sinica.edu.tw (to contact SOC members)

taiwan09loc at asiaa.sinica.edu.tw (to contact LOC members)

Also, please visit our conference website (
http://www.asiaa.sinica.edu.tw/taipei09) to find more information on the
conference.

11. Additional Services

We would be happy to make arrangements for you to extend your stay at ASIAA
(http://www.asiaa.sinica.edu.tw) or at other institutions in Taiwan before
and/or after the conference. Please send your request to the LOC.