[asac] ASAC logistics latest info, maps

Leonardo Testi lt at arcetri.astro.it
Wed Sep 13 06:35:37 EDT 2006

Dear all,
      this is the final message I am sending out on the ASAC
logistics (I am afraid is a bit long), but of course, if you have
questions, please let me know.

PLEASE: have a look at the list of people for the Corridoio Tour at
the end f this email, who is in is in, who is out is out, the
Sovrintendenza ai Beni Culturali wants the exact number of people in
advance (I hope I can push the deadline to Friday, but I am not sure).

Meeting location: Convitto della Calza, Piazza della Calza 6, Sala
Bargello (there will be signs)
                                 all lunches and breaks are organized
there.

Weather:   Unfortunately the weather forecast  calls for a
possibility of rain during the weekend.
                     I am told (...) that in Florence temperatures
are still in the high twenties (C, high seventies in
                     F, I believe), but it may drop quite a bit at
night if we are going to have bad weather.

Attached is a map and a satellite view where I marked the location of
the most relevant places. The sketch that Al attached to the agenda
is also a good guidance.

It just came to my mind that, perhaps, those of you arriving early on
Friday 14 may be interested in a quick tour of Galileo Galilei house
near Arcetri, if this is the case, please let me know. I can try to
organize a short visit (i.e. I can try to find the keys in our
director's office...). The difficulty is that you will have to come
to the Observatory somehow (uphill walk or taxi). We could do this on
Friday afternoon sometime. The house has been recently restored,
nothing of the original furnishing survived to the present time, and
it is currently empty. It is "just" a fascinating (and beautiful)
place were Galileo spent the last years of his life in "captivity".
The plan is to convert it in a sort of meeting center, but we are not
yet quite there, unfortunately. On Friday I will be reachable at my
mobile (+393334970252) or in my office (+390552752234).

I will not be able to join you for dinner on Friday evening. To find
restaurants, bars, you can walk through via Romana towards the city
centre (opposite direction wrt the Convitto della Calza). When you
reach the small square with the column you have three choices:

a) The Quick & Easy Solution: turn left toward Piazza Santo Spirito,
you will find several restaurants and
                                bars there. Even if this is the short
an easy, do not underestimate this route: piazza
                                Santo Spirito is one of the most
beautiful squares in Florence, the church of Santo
                                Spirito is one of the masterpieces of
renaissance architecture.

b) The Tourist Crowd Route: go ahead right through Piazza Pitti and
via Guicciardini which leads
                  to Ponte Vecchio. You will find (too) many
touristic restaurants and bars, but a walk across
                  Ponte Vecchio at night is nice. If you turn left at
the beginning of via Guicciardini in via dello
                  Sprone you end up in Piazza della Passera, there is
a restaurant there which used to be not
                  excessively touristic.

c) The Sophisticated Pundit Path: go ahead left in via Maggio (known
as via degli antiquari, for
                  the large number of antiquity shops). At the end of
via Maggio you can turn left and then left
                  again to revert to path a) or turn right and revert
to path b) through Borgo S. Jacopo. path c)
                  continue straight across the bridge (gorgeous view
of Ponte Vecchio to the right), one of the
                  most trendy spot of the last years is the pub/bar
just left after you cross the bridge.

This is about all that comes to my mind, again, if you have questions
let me know (today! I will be traveling tomorrow afternoon).

See you in Florence!
                                         Leonardo

--
Leonardo Testi - lt at arcetri.astro.it             - Tel: +39-055-2752234
                - http://www.arcetri.astro.it/~lt - Fax: +39-055-220039

Corridoio Vasariano Tour Group

(Meeting at 15:45 sharp in Piazza Pitti, tour starts at 16:00 expect
to end inside the Uffizi at ~17:00,
we will then be free to visit the Uffizi, including the Leonardo da
Vinci exhibit. The Uffizi close at 18:30-19:00).

Uffizi:                       http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it/
english/musei/uffizi/Default.asp
Corridoio:               http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it/english/
musei/vasariano/Default.asp?
Leonardo Exhibit: http://brunelleschi.imss.fi.it/menteleonardo/

The final estimate for the cost (given the number of people) is ~38.5
Euro/person

     Richer
     Testi (2)
    Blain