[asac] Head of the ALMA Science Center (NAASC)

Alwyn Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Tue May 2 10:23:30 EDT 2006

Dear Colleagues,

We are delighted to announce that Chris Carilli has been appointed as
the Head of the ALMA Science Center (NAASC) effective May 1, 2006.
Chris will initially take up the role from Socorro before relocating to
Charlottesville later this year.  Chris is no stranger to ALMA being a
member of both the ASAC and ANASAC.  This is a very formative time for
the North American ALMA Science Center and we look forward to Chris'
involvement and leadership.

While Chris is moving from Socorro and his long affiliation with the VLA
and VLBA, his move illustrates the important principle of One
Observatory by rotating our staff to where he or she is needed the most.
In addition, the One Observatory goal is not for the NA ALMA Science
Center to function in isolation.  There will be very close collaboration
and coordination and active exchanges of personnel and ideas with the
Science Centers NRAO is planning to establish for EVLA/VLBA and the GBT.
It is important to note that Science Centers do not refer to buildings.
They refer to the necessary activities provided and organized by NRAO to
the astronomy community to make sure all the NRAO telescopes are
optimally used for science.

Fred K. Y. Lo and Adrian Russell