[asac] [almanews] Science with ALMA: a new era for Astrophysics: 2nd Announcement

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Tue Mar 7 12:12:06 EST 2006

Dear Colleague,

The 2nd pan-ALMA conference on "Science with ALMA: a new era for
Astrophysics" will be held 13-16 November 2006 in Madrid, Spain. The
venue will be the campus of the CSIC (Consejo Superior de
Investigaciones Cientificas), in the centre of town.

Information on the 2nd pan-ALMA meeting is available via

       http://www.oan.es/alma2006/   (final slash is mandatory)

Scope of Symposium
__________________
Currently under construction in the Andean Altiplano, Northern Chile,
the Atacama Large Millimeter Array (ALMA) is an international radio
interferometer with about 7000 m2 of collecting area comprised of up to 64
12-m antennas. Initially covering the most interesting spectral
wavelength ranges from 3 to 0.3 mm, ALMA will be a revolutionary
telescope providing astronomy with the first detailed view of the dark
and youngest objects of the Universe.

The scientific preparations for ALMA are being extremely active since
the birth of the project. The various science committees, groups of
astronomers working for ALMA, and regional communities interested in
the project meet regularly to exchange ideas about the scientific
capabilities and first observations to be carried out with the
interferometer. A first world-wide conference on  "Science with the
Atacama Large Millimeter Array" took place in Washington, D.C. (USA),
on 6-8 October 1999.

The conference to be held in Madrid (Spain), on 13-16 November 2006,
will be the second world-wide meeting on "Science with the Atacama
Large Millimeter Array". This international ALMA conference is
envisioned as a way for the astronomers interested on ALMA, not
necessarily radioastronomers, to exchange views, to plan preparatory
observations in view of the scientific exploitation of the
interferometer, and to obtain the information needed to orient their
scientific work to the best possible use of ALMA.

The conference will cover a wide range of topics (see scientific
programme below), which will indeed include the main scientific
drivers of ALMA:

   The formation and evolution of galaxies.
   The physics and chemistry of the interstellar medium.
   The processes of star and planet formation.

About 40 invited papers will be presented orally in morning and
afternoon sessions, and there will be afternoon poster sessions. In
addition we will also have around 20-35 short contributing papers.
There will be no parallel sessions. Invited papers are of 30 minutes
duration, including discussion. The proceedings will be published by
Springer Verlag

Programme and Invited Speakers
------------------------------

Section 1 : The project
Massimo Tarenghi: Status of the ALMA project
Al Wootten: The ALMA capacities for line observations
Tom Wilson: The ALMA capacities for continuum observations
R. Kawabe: The ACA array

Section 2 : Star Formation
Ewine van Dishoeck: A general view of ALMA capacities in the
           field of star formation
Ricardo Cesaroni: High mass star forming regions: an ALMA View
Philippe Andre: Low Mass Star forming regions
Debra Shepher : Molecular Outflows
Yuri Aikawa: Chemistry in low mass star forming regions :
           ALMA's contribution
Stephane Guilloteau: A new view of Protoplanetary disks with ALMA
David J. Wilner: Debris Disk Evolution, grain growth: The ALMA view of
           dust evolution

Section 3 : Proto-Planets and substellar objects
Nagayoshi Ohashi: The ALMA expectations in the field of Planet
           formation
Sebastian Wolf: Detecting Protoplanets with ALMA
Antonella Natta: The study of substellar objects with ALMA

Section 4 : Molecular Clouds
Bruce T. Draine (TBC): Observations of Dust in Molecular Clouds with
           ALMA
Richard M. Crutcher:  Polarization measurements of molecular lines
           with  ALMA
Neal J. Evans II (TBC): Observations of Protostellar cores with ALMA
Jesús Martín-Pintado: ALMA and the Galactic Center
Yasuo Fukui: Contrasting Star Formation in the Magellanic Clouds and
          the Milky Way: the ALMA View
John C. Pearson: Laboratory Data, Line Confusion and Other Unique
           Opportunities and Challenges for ALMA Line Surveys
Eric Herbst : Chemistry in the ISM : The ALMA revolution

Section 5 : Solar System
Bryan Butler: An overview of the ALMA capacities for the study of the
           solar system
Emmanuel Lellouch: The study of Planetary Atmospheres with ALMA
Dominique Bocklee-Morvan: The study of Comets with ALMA
Amy J. Lovell: Observation of Asteroids with ALMA

Section 6 : Evolved Stars
Hans Olofsson: The study of evolved stars with ALMA
Valentin Bujarrabal: The Molecular Content and Physical Structure of
           Protoplanetary Nebula
Patrick J. Huggins: Planetary Nebula
Tom Millar: Chemistry in the ISM : Unveiling the dust formation zone

Section 7 : Galaxies
Linda Tacconi: An overview of Galaxy Formation with ALMA
Kazushi Sakamoto (TBC): Gas dynamics and structure of galaxies
Min Yun: Star Formation in Galaxies
Jean L. Turner : Chemical Complexity in Nearby galaxies
Sussane Aalto: Chemistry in active Galaxies
Kohno Kotaro : Dense gas in nearby active and normal galaxies
Robert C. Kennicutt (TBC) : Star formation in galaxies:
            multiwavelength insights

Section 8: High redshift galaxies & Cosmology
David Hughes: Large scale continuum surveys with ALMA
Frank Bertoldi : Continuum observations of high-z objects
Fabian Walter (TBC): Search for the most distant objects with ALMA
Toru Yamada: Multi-wavelength observations of very distant galaxies
Dale A. Frail: ALMA and the high-z GRBs
Francoise Combes: Molecular Absorption measurements in high-z objects
Yoshiaki Taniguchi: Lyman alpha emitters at highest redshift.
          Extensive study in the field of starburst galaxies from
          nearby to high-z
Philip Solomon: Dense Molecular Gas and Star Formation in Galaxies
          near and far
Naoshi Sugiyama: Cosmology and SZ with ALMA

CONFERENCE SUMMARY :
A. Sargent & P. Cox: Galactic & Extragalactic/Cosmoslogy

Contributing talks
------------------
There will be space for 30 contributing talks of 15 minutes. Participants
interested in presenting a contribution have to use the web page to
give title and abstract. Deadline for contributing talks is 15 June 2006.
Contributing talks will be published in the proceedings of the conference.

Reception and Conference Dinner
-------------------------------
On Monday evening (13 November 2006) a Welcome cocktail will be held
during the first poster session. The Conference Dinner takes place on
Wednesday 15 November. Paul vandenBout will give the dinner talk on
"The Genesis of the ALMA project".
It is expected that it will be possible for participants to bring a
guest to the Dinner. Guests pay the same price of 50 Euros for the
dinner as participants. The registration form allows the participants
to indicate special requirements for the dinner (e.g. vegetarian,
allergies).

Registration and deadline
-------------------------
The Registration has now opened, via the Conference webpages (see
above). Full Registration, including payment of Registration Fee and
Conference Dinner, must be completed before the deadline of 15 June
2006 (early registration; 15 September final deadline for
registration).  The Registration Fee is kept to 250 Euros (early
registration; 300Euros after 15 June 2006) and includes the Conference
Dinner. Registration Fee is mandatory for all participants, invited
speakers and SOC/LOC members.
The methods of payment are detailed on the Webpage. For early
registration the payment has to be done to an International Money
Transfer Order. Please ensure that any bank transfer costs are taken
into account, so that the full amount due will be received by the LOC.
At the Symposium itself, the Registration Desk will open on Monday
morning (08H00), 13 November 2006.

Grants
------
A limited number of Grants for PhD students will be available. The
Grants can be used primarily for the registration fee of participant
unable to provide these by themselves. The application procedure for
these Grants is indicated on the Conference webpage and the deadline
for applying is 15 June 2006.

Accommodation
-------------
Block reservations have been made with a few suitably located hotels,
which offer a special price for the participants of the Conference.
Participants are requested to make their own bookings with these
hotels, as described on the Accommodation webpage. The hotels will
process the bookings on a first come first served basis.

Please circulate this 2nd Announcement in your Institute or University
Department and to colleagues elsewhere that may be interested.  We
apologize if this notice is being sent more than once to you.

With best regards,

J. Cernicharo (SOC Chair)
J. Martin-Pintado & Pere Planesas (LOC Co-Chairs)

|--------------------------------------------|
|         Prof. Jose Cernicharo              |
|  Dpt. Astrofisica Molecular e Infrarroja   |
|                  (DAMIR)                   |
|   Instituto de Estructura de la Materia    |
|                   CSIC                     |
|       C/Serrano 121. 28006 Madrid          |

|        Tel:34-915901611 & 34-626202121     |
|               Fax:34-915645557             |

|  e-mail : cerni at damir.iem.csic.es          |