[asac] Travel to Chile

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Mon Sep 12 15:47:19 EDT 2005

Folks,

Today we discussed travel to Chile.  Each partner arranges this differently
for their ASAC members.  Non-NA folks may hit the delete key now.

Last month I sought an update to the page (dated 2000 Feb 29):
http://www.alma.nrao.edu/info/travel/index.html
and have requested the new text be inserted, but I don't have the passwords
to do this; it iw a work in progress.  Much of the info from 2000 is correct.
There are exceptions:

The fee for US visitors is now $100 but it is no longer US cash only--credit
cards work.  This is a reimbursable expense.

Details on buses and exchange rates may be incorrect.  There are ATM machines
which will work.  As you exit customs at the international airport, head
to your left and about 100 yards down you will find an ATM on your left
near the left luggage depot (true last time I visited at least--Nov 04).

The airlines which fly to Chile have changed--United no longer does, and
Delta has connections through Atlanta.  Flights to and from Chile are
best arranged through your agent or via the web.

Internal flights can be expensive and difficult to arrange from NA.
The webpage mentions arrangements through a travel agency.  Subsequent to this
page being written, AUI has established an office in Chile with Eduardo
Hardy as NRAO/AUI Representative in Chile.  This office is located very very
close to that of the JAO (same floor, same building).  You can work
through this office to obtain tickets at a more reasonable price.  Xaviera
Williams should be your contact person for this.  She can also
help make hotel reservations for you in Region II--NRAO visitors to San Pedro
often stay at Casa de Don Tomas in San Pedro de Atacama--the Caltech CBI
group are located there, as well as the Japanese ASTE group.  There are
small tourbuses which operate from the Calama airport to San Pedro de
Atacama but I will have to refer you to Xaviera for details on those.
To get to the ALMA site you should make arrangements with Jorg Eschwey
through Alejandra.

If Xavieras is unavailable Mauricio Pilleux, NRAO/AUI Business Manager in
Chile, can help.

Alexandra Araya will make arrangements for you in Santiago for the ASAC
meeting at the Holiday Inn
http://www.holidayinnexpress.cl/ingles/home/santiago.html

Contact information:
Alejandra Araya (JAO)
Direct Ph:   +(56) 2 467 6121
Fax:            +(56) 2 467 6102
E-mail:        aaraya at alma.cl <mailto:aaraya at alma.cl>

Serrano Wiliams, Xaviera (NRAO.AUI)
Direct Ph:   +(56) 2 210-9600
Fax:            +(56) 2 210-9650
E-mail:       xserrano at nrao.edu

Pilleux, Mauricio
Direct Ph:   +(56) 2 210-9602 (NRAO.AUI)
Fax:            +(56) 2 210-9650
E-mail:       mpilleux at nrao.edu

I will be at the JAO for the week preceding the ASAC meeting.

Clear skies,
Al