[asac] demonstration science: comments

Munetake MOMOSE momose at mx.ibaraki.ac.jp
Sun Aug 21 04:47:09 EDT 2005

Dear Chris,

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 16:15:46 -0400 (EDT), Christine Wilson wrote:

> If you have any additional comments on the text on demonstration science
> which I circulated by email on Aug 2 (with additional information sent on
> Aug 3), please send them to me by Monday, August 22.

Thank you for your effort on your work on Charge 2. Basically I agree
with the general points described in your summery. Apology for my
delayed respond, but there are two comments:

1) I agree that Science Verification or demonstration science at very
early phase (with 6-8 antennas) should be important for both the
astronomical community and general public to present the ALMA's
outstanding capability at high frequencies. Although the obtained
images at this phase will not be so "pretty" as one (a
non-astronomer) can imagine, these will have fairly high publicity, I
believe, if we explain carefully that the ALMA with 6-8 antennas is
still in its very "infant" phase.

In addition to the above point, it may also be important to carry out
"demonstration sciences" at some later phase (16-25 antennas?) to
present the supreme "imaging" capability. Eye-catching images for
general public will easily be obtained with a larger number of
antennas, but more importantly, it will be critical to show at some
appropriate point that the ALMA can get very good images without any
special expertise to non-radio astronomers.

Since the performance of the ALMA will dramatically be improved
during its construction, which  will be quite different from other
instrument's cases, several steps may be required to demonstrate it
accordingly.

2) I believe demonstration science of the ACA will also be necessary
to clearly show its efficacy to astronomers who are not familiar with
radio interferometry. Although we will probably not have any time to
discuss this issue in the next face-to-face meeting, it should be
kept in our mind and be discussed in the near future.

Best wishes,
Munetake

 Munetake MOMOSE
<momose at mx.ibaraki.ac.jp>