[asac]May face to face meeting

John Richer jsr at mrao.cam.ac.uk
Tue Feb 24 05:10:05 EST 2004

Dear ASAC colleagues,

This is the first email to announce arrangements for the face to face
meeting in Cambridge.  The meeting will take place on Monday May 10th
and Tuesday May 11th, with exact timings still not announced. However, I
would expect that an 0900 or 0930 start on Monday is reasonable, with a
finish no later than 1600 on Tuesday. If you have specific timing
requests, let me know. The location is the Cavendish Laboratory, the
University's Department of Physics.

Our group administrator, Kate Gilbert, will act as local contact, but
feel free to contact me with any questions as well. Her email address is
in the cc: field of this message.

The most pressing item to act on is your own travel and hotel
bookings. We have reserved some rooms at the Arundel House Hotel in
Cambridge, but really need firm numbers and as soon as possible.
Cambridge is as an ever-popular destination and nice central hotels are
in very short supply.

So, PLEASE contact Kate Gilbert <kjg26 at mrao.cam.ac.uk> immediately with
your request for hotel reservations, and also state if you have any
special requirements (e.g. bringing a partner, need special diet etc.).
Early reqesusts will guarantee a room in this well-located hotel.  They
have asked for numbers by the end of this week if possible.

The website is

      http://www.arundelhousehotels.co.uk

but please reserve via Kate Gilbert.

When booking travel, remember that London Stansted airport is the
closest to Cambridge, and much more convenient than Heathrow.  London
Luton is less well served but also closer to Cambridge.  However, these
options are only likely to be helpful for those coming from Europe as
they are served mainly by the low-cost carriers, Easyjet and Ryanair.
American visitors are most likely to arrive at Heathrow.

Further emails will follow with more details.  Feel free to ask
questions to Kate or myself.

Best wishes,

John

--
John Richer
Astrophysics Group,   Cavendish Lab,   Madingley Road,  Cambridge CB3 0HE