[asac] [Fwd: ALMA at 2006 IAU]

Chris Carilli ccarilli at aoc.nrao.edu
Wed Dec 15 08:32:32 EST 2004

Interesting idea.  as pierre says, it overlaps with DUSTY04 in paris last
month, which emphasized ALMA/Hershel.   My impression of dusty04
was that they got together a great group of people, but the meeting
never really made the scientific ties between ALMA and Hershel.
ALMA is really a deep, high resolution device.  Hershel is a low
spatial resolution, confusion limited SED machine and dust spectrograph.
both are interesting, but the talks should be geared toward emphasizing
the complementarity.  JWST is more along the lines of ALMA -- deep
and high res, but in the near-IR.    simply put,  we have to avoid
having three separate conferences under one name.

i'd be willing to help out in the next few weeks, as needs be.
cc

ps -- one strong recommendation would be NOT to put the GTO talks
at the very end of the meeting, as was done at dusty04.