[asac] [Fwd: ALMA at 2006 IAU]

Jean L. Turner turner at astro.UCLA.EDU
Tue Dec 14 17:44:41 EST 2004

Dear ASAC:

I got the following email from Peter Stockman, STScI Project
Scientist for the JWST. He suggests that we collaborate with
them on a Joint Discussion at the IAU GA in Prague in 2006,
on a session on future instruments. THey are suggesting
JWST, ALMA, and Herschel.

Al and I agree that this is an excellent idea. We have not
discussed this further with Peter, awaiting your response.
A JD would not be too difficult to organize, and doing this
jointly with JWST and Herschel at the IAU GA would bring
together many astronomers from different regions
of the spectrum. It will take some energy, and the ASAC has
a busy year ahead. However, this seems to be a very
worthwhile project. Do you agree?

If we decide we are interested, then a proposal will have to
be prepared by January 1. The paperwork will not be too bad,
only a few pages in length (as I recall; if someone knows
differently, please correct me!), but what will have to be done
is come up with an organizing committee, and a plan for the
JD in concert with the JWST and Herschel people.

Action items:

==> Please let me know what you think of the idea, ASAP.

==> Please let me know if you might be interested in serving
on a subcommittee to organize this proposal (not necessarily
to organize the JD at this stage, just the proposal), also
ASAP.

++> If you have any ideas for the workshop, I can collect those
too. One thought that has occurred is that there might be
members of the ESAC or ANASAC who would be willing to help
organize the JD.

Jean

--
Jean L. Turner, Professor
Division of Astronomy & Astrophysics, UCLA