[asac]draft text for ORAL interim report to ALMA Board

John Richer jsr at mrao.cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 12 16:10:13 EST 2003

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your outline ASAC report.

It was I who suggested at the last telecon that the "Framework 6"
European proposals should not be mentioned to the ALMA Board at this
stage, and I reiterate that view here.  At some point, we on the
European side may wish to present this to the *European* ALMA Board, but
at the moment this is of little relevance to the ALMA Board and JAO -
it's just a distraction; also the activities Pierre alludes to are not
Project led, but led by individual scientists, so are not part of the
ALMA project per se.

Apart from that, looks OK; but if possible I would try to firm up a
little on recommendations/areas of concern, as e.g. suggested by Ewine
on software; it's important to convey that the ASAC is opinionated and
has some insight into the strong and weak areas of the project.

Good luck,

John

--
John Richer
Astrophysics Group,   Cavendish Lab,   Madingley Road,  Cambridge CB3 0HE