[asac]AIPS++ Consortium Ends

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Tue Apr 22 10:16:51 EDT 2003

AIPS++ Consortium Ends

The members of the AIPS++ Consortium, the National Radio Astronomy
Observatory, ASTRON, the Australia Telescope National Facility, the
Jodrell Bank Observatory, and the Berkeley-Illinois-Maryland Array,
announce the end of the consortium, effective immediately. The end of
the consortium means the withdrawal of the resources currently
committed, the end of joint management meetings, and the end of the
consortium executive. The AIPS++ code base generated by the consortium
remains available to all. The code base is covered by the GNU Public
License, held by Associated Universities.

At this juncture, we would like to summarize the accomplishments of the
consortium. Although our shared goal of developing the next generation
radio astronomical data reduction software package has not been fully
realized, the package does have the basic core capabilities for radio
astronomy and has been used in various targeted applications. However,
the Executive Committee has concluded that the consortium structure is
no longer appropriate as we turn from building the core of the package
to developing scientific applications targeted to our specific
telescopes. Consequently, future collaboration between our observatories
will be in the form of new bilateral or multilateral agreements and will
focus on specific scientific needs.

The AIPS++ Executive Committee wishes to recognize all those who have
contributed to the project over its entire lifetime. We thank all of the
many very talented and dedicated people have been involved in the
project in many different ways. We assure these people in particular
that the core capabilities of AIPS++ will not be lost - as described
above, we expect that future developments by our individual
observatories will make appropriate use of the extensive functionalities
in the AIPS++ package.

The AIPS++ Executive Committee:
Harvey Butcher, Tim Cornwell, Dick Crutcher, Phil Diamond, Ron Ekers,
and Fred Lo (Chair)

April 21, 2003