[asac]science examples for calibration review

Christine Wilson wilson at physics.mcmaster.ca
Wed Nov 13 12:15:44 EST 2002

Hi, everyone,

As we discussed in our telecon last week, one of the first tasks of the
calibration group is to review the calibration requirements for ALMA (see
text of draft Level 2 milestone below). This review is to include science
examples and this is an area where the ASAC can provide useful input to
the process.

I ask you all to try to come up with one example of science that will be
done by ALMA. For examples of the types of things, you can have a look at
the science examples in the stringency report from our last face-to-face
meeting.

Stephane will circulate a summary of the key calibration issues by email
in the next day or so. If you can design a science example to exercise
one of these specific issues (i.e. 1% calibration accuracy, total power
stability, etc.), that would be excellent. But even if your favorite
science example doesn't seem particularly difficult for ALMA to achieve,
please pass it on, as I think having a good range of science examples
will be important for this exercise.

Please send your contributions to John Richer and me by
Monday, December 2.

Thanks,
Chris

Level 2 milestone:
     Review of calibration requirements with science examples complete.
     This includes: phase, amplitude, bandpass, polarization, antenna
     location, illumination offset, pointing, focus, delay, opacity,
     and decorrelation correction.   How and where and at what frequency
     opacity is required to be measured at the site.