[asac][almanews] ALMA Memos 428 Released

Stacy Oliver soliver at NRAO.EDU
Thu Jun 20 17:26:16 EDT 2002

ALMA MEMO #428

Compact Configuration Evaluation

Melvyn Wright
(Radio Astronomy laboratory, University of California, Berkeley)

2002/06/12

In this memo, we compare the imaging performance of 3 compact configurations.  We have written MIRIAD scripts to simulate imaging
with ALMA, and pipeline the results into tables.  We present a table of beam FWHM, brightness sensitivity and  sidelobe levels as a
function of declination.  Single field images for source diameters 8, 16, 24, and 32 arcsec are also analyzed.  Based on these
results, 2 compact arrays appear sufficient. Omitting an extended N-S compact configuration is operationally simpler and saves about
$1M.

View a pdf version of ALMA Memo #428.
http://www.alma.nrao.edu/memos/html-memos/alma428/memo428.pdf

Download a postscript version of ALMA Memo #428.
http://www.alma.nrao.edu/memos/html-memos/alma428/memo428.ps