[asac]revised statement on correlator enhancement

Christine Wilson wilson at physics.mcmaster.ca
Thu Dec 5 10:03:31 EST 2002

Hi, everyone,

Here is a revised statement on the correlator enhancements. Unless I hear
other suggestions for changes, I will send it off at the end of today.

Chris

The ASAC has read with interest the proposal in ALMA Memo 441 by Escoffier
and Webber to enhance the performance of the baseline ALMA correlator.
The proposed enhancement will increase the number of channels in the wide
band mode from 256 to 8192 points in each 2 GHz of the 16 GHz available,
and therefore allow for better resolution. The relatively small number of
spectral channels currently available in the wide bandwidth modes is a major
scientific limitation of the baseline correlator that would be remedied if
this enhancement could be carried out. Therefore, the ASAC encourages the
ALMA project to see if this enhancement to the correlator can be
implemented within the baseline ALMA project.