[asac] ASAC topic

Stephane Guilloteau guillote at iram.fr
Tue Mar 13 12:37:42 EST 2001

Dear Tetsuo,

    I  think we should definitely discuss the Enhanced Correlator case
further.
However, the costing has you presented it is incomplete because it does not
take into account the induced costs on the Data Processing & Archiving.
Since the
enhanced correlator may produce 16 times more channel on average than the
baseline correlator, real-time processing will be significantly more heavy,
and thus
more costly. This should be estimated and included in the "Enhanced
Correlator"
additional cost.

    Concerning the Archiving, the task is more complex, since it depends on
the
archiving requirements. There is first a scientific issue on how many
channels should
be archived, and then a costing excercise to be done later.

    Altogether, these extra costs may amount to 5 to 10 M$, perhaps even
more, i.e. may cost us one or more frequency band...

    I believe it perfectly OK for the ASAC to indicate priorities even if
the exact costing is
not known in advance, but the ASAC should nevertheless be aware of the
possible cost consequences of the priorities.

        Stephane