[asac] ALMA Calibration PDR

John Richer jsr at mrao.cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 9 08:44:56 EDT 2001

Dear colleagues,

Please see the enclosed announcement from Stephane Guilloteau, Al
Wootten and myself, regarding the ALMA calibration PDR to be held this
summer. There is a draft agenda at

	http://www.alma.ac.uk/calpdr

More details will be posted here in due course.  Can you please
confirm if you will be attending to me, but note you must take care of
your own hotel accomodation bookings as described in the note below.

Comments on the agenda/attendance list should be sent to Stephane, Al
and myself.

Regards

John Richer

			 ALMA Calibration PDR

		Thursday June 21st + Friday June 22nd

	      MRAO, Cavendish Laboratory, Cambridge, UK

We are making plans for an ALMA calibration PDR meeting for the above
dates.  We expect two full days of sessions.

This a very lively time of the year in Cambridge.   It is 'May Week'
(yes, in June!), when all the College summer balls take place, plus
there is the usual large influx of tourists.  So those attending must
make hotel reservations as soon as possible, and no later than 1 May
(sooner if you wish to stay for extra nights before or after the
meeting).  A block of hotel rooms has been reserved at the Arundel
House Hotel in Cambridge:

      http://www.arundelhousehotels.co.uk

PARTICIPANTS MUST RESERVE THEIR OWN ACCOMMODATION AND GUARANTEE IT
WITH A CREDIT CARD BY 1 MAY.

The telephone number for reservations is +44 1223 367701, or you can
FAX them on +44 1223 367721.  Be sure to mention the meeting name
(ALMA) when you make your reservation.  Prices should be about 65 GBP
per night for a single room, and 85 GBP per night for a twin or double
room.

John Richer is taking the lead in the local organisation - feel free
to email him with any questions about logistics (jsr at mrao.cam.ac.uk).

Travel hints

Cambridge is about 55 miles from central London, and well served by
trains from London Kings Cross station (2-3 per hour, journey time
45-75 minutes depending on the train).

London Stansted is the closest large international airport (~35 miles
from Cambridge), and is quite well connected to many European cities
by several 'low-cost' airlines; the only transatlantic flight will be
Continental's New York-Stansted service which begins in May.  Buses
run approximately hourly to Cambridge from Stansted, taking about 45
minutes; a taxi takes 35 minutes in light traffic and costs about 44
GBP.

London Heathrow and Gatwick airports are more distant from Cambridge -
about 75 and 110 miles respectively. Both are served by trains and
buses. The scheduled bus journey time is about two hours from Heathrow
and three hours from Gatwick. Because of heavy traffic around London,
the actual departure times of these buses are sometimes very different
to the times listed in the timetable. You just have to locate the
correct bus stop and then wait for one to come. Alternatively, you can
take trains: from Heathrow, you can take a long underground ride to
Kings Cross; alternatively, pay more money and take the fast Heathrow
Express train to London Paddington, then the tube to Kings Cross.
>From Gatwick, a regular train service takes you into London, then a
tube across London takes you to Kings Cross.  Frm Kings Cross it's
then less than an hour to Cambridge.

>From Cambridge railway station it's a short taxi ride to the hotel
(about 2.5 miles); the bus station is more central - a little over 1
mile from the hotel.

--
John Richer,  Cavendish Astrophysics,  Madingley Road,  Cambridge CB3 0HE
Tel. 01223-337246         Fax: 01223-354599          Mobile: 07870-509599