[alma-config]requirement to the compact configuration

Leonia Kogan lkogan at aoc.nrao.edu
Thu Jan 31 16:10:39 EST 2002

Dear collegs,

Having spent the yesterday discussing the area where the sidelobes
should be optimized, I figured out that I used the radius of
optimization too large.

As I understand the PSF is multiplyed by the autoconvolution of the PB
at mosaic which will be dominate at the futer observation of compact
configuration.

Therefore the radius of optimization should be of order one side of PB

That changes the game. I optimized sidelobes at the twice bigger circle
at the sky and reach the positive sidelobes ~6.

Today I repeat optimization of 150 meter configuration inside of
the circle of one side width of PB and got the positive sidelobes <3%.

Now I'd like to have an answers on the following questions:

1. What is desired radius of optimization measured in one side width of PB
   at zero level?

2. What ellipticity of the beam at zenith should be?

3. What is the width of the road to remove antennas safety and without stop
   of observation.

4. The maximum brightness temperature sensitivity  is still the criterion 1
   at the design of the compact configuration. Is not it?

Thanks

Leonia