[alma-config]Teleconference 2 Oct 1415UT?

Al Wootten awootten at NRAO.EDU
Thu Sep 27 15:39:42 EDT 2001

Folks,

Week before last, the members of the ASAC visited Chajnantor.  Daniel
Hofstadt and Tony Readhead, among others gave very useful presentations.
Daniel stressed that we need to progress to a final configuration design
quickly, preferably be year's end.  Toward this end,

*There will be a campaign at the site in early December to examine locations
for the antenna pads determined by us.

*These items suggest we should discuss our progress at another telecon, and
come up with some positions before December.

Items for discussion:
*ALMA Memos 389 and 390 by D. Woody (John I wasn't sure whether you wanted
  your comments circulated to a wider group...)
Conway said: "I have compared the results of optimising  a spiral and a
random starting array  with the Kogan or Boone algorithms
in http://www.oso.chalmers.se/~jconway/ALMA/SIMULATIONS/SIM8/"
This was done before Daves two memos came out, but I did
plot the peak sidelobe versus  radial distance.

*Simon Radford noted yesterday:
Topographic maps and digital elevation models of the Chajnantor area are
available in acrobat (pdf), autocad (dwg), and fits image (FITS) formats
at this web page, which I reorganized today. These include the map of the
western approach north of Cerro Negro that was completed in July.

http://www.tuc.nrao.edu/alma/site/Chajnantor/maps/

I propose Tuesday, 2 October at 1415 UT.  Comments please so that we may
iterate to a time suitable to all.

Clear skies,
Al