[alma-config]misc config comments

Stephane Guilloteau guillote at iram.fr
Wed Oct 3 04:27:24 EDT 2001

Back to the three points mentionned in the last 3 messages

1) Short spacings in all possible configurations: YES
    Mark is right here. It does not cost much, and saves a lot of effort.
This is very cost efficient. The only valid exceptions are the largest
configuration, where it is not only the "shortest" spacing, but quite a few
"shorter" spacings which would be needed. And in general, I doubt people
will be granted time on the 14 km array to make IMAGES if they haven't
already done a pretty good 3 km image... (For size measurement and compact
sources, I would not say so...)

2) Positive inner sidelobes: NO, must have a ZERO MEAN INNER SIDELOBES
    I disagree with Dave's statement. In our imaging simulations, we
actually found out that the best deconvolution results were obtained when
zero spacing data was added with such a weight as to produce practically a
"null" region for the inner sidelobes, and that deconvolution failed as soon
as any significant positive "plateau" was present.
    I concur with Mel in his statement that this ressembles pretty much the
"error beam" problem in single-dish.

    Using this sort of constraint to drive the optimisation towards getting
some short spacing is good, but obtaining a real positive plateau of inner
sidelobes is bad for deconvolution. The plateau should have zero mean.
Having a zero mean plateau does not imply you miss the extended structures:
the main beam remains sensitive to these structures.

3) Sidelobes level: SMALL
    Agree with Mark and Mel here. Algorithms play a significant role. From a
mathematical view point, high sidelobes result in low eigenvalue for the
inverse problem, so are always a nuisance when noise has to be considered.
The noise free case is a bit academic (unfortunately).

    My own 3 cents (of Euros)

        Stephane