[alma-config]misc config comments

David Woody dwoody at benton.ovro.caltech.edu
Tue Oct 2 17:02:32 EDT 2001

Hi Mark

This is a tricky and important issue and I don't think there is a single
or simple answer.  The problem I was trying to solve
is that for the larger configurations a Gaussian UV distribution
or any bell shaped distribution actually has very few short
baselines and so extended objects disappear, i.e. get resolved
out, and the single dish or smaller configuration data is required
to see them at all.  There is a desire for making all but the
extended configuration self sufficient, i.e. good images without
requiring other data.  Also it is generally accepted that the
single dish data will be inferior to interferometer data.  (This
is one reason for the ACA.)  Thus we should try to obtain
over as wide of a scale size as possible.

Everyone says we need more short spacing data, but none of the
optimization routines automatically drive the configurations in this
direction.
But I found that my sequential optimization did drive in this
direction if I tried to produce finite near sidelobes.  In my treatment
the single dish data is always included so that sidelobes=1/(N-1)
are actually zero in the absence of the single dish data.
So a better statement of the goal would be zero sidelobes
out to some radius for interferometer data only.

This comes down to how much are we going to depend upon single
dish data and if the PSF is used as a metric should it include the
single dish data or just interferometric data.  This needs to also
carry over into image simulations that attempt to include noise.
What noise level should it be assigned to the U=V=0 data.

Cheers
David