[alma-config]Pad locations in both coord systems

Mark Holdaway mholdawa at nrao.edu
Thu Nov 29 14:59:55 EST 2001

> These pads have all been checked against Bryan's map and are fine as far as
> that goes. Whether they are accessible
> by any feasible system of roads is another matter, especially on the eastern
> side of the site. The positions of most of the pads are not very critical,
> and this includes the Reuleaux triangle, the pads of which are the most
> likely to lie in difficult terrain.

I'd like to remind of some ancient history of the MMA project: memo 153
(1996) presented results for fitting a 12 km array around Chascon.  This
was before I had the first DEM of the site made, so I made a very coarse
mask (1 km by 1 km, digitized by hand, just guessing if a given square
km would permit an antenna or not).

The array configurations were spit out by an enhanced version of Eric
Keto's optimization software.  In addition to considering a mask, the
algorithm could optimize the (u,v) coverage for long tracks in addition
to just the zenith snapshot.  The whole debate between the Conway and the
Kogan configuration concepts turned on the fact that optimizing for
snapshots and optimizing for long tracks were NOT the same!
Indeed, the algorithm spit out configurations which were NOT
Reuleaux triangles, but squashed soccor balls.

Especially in the largest configuration, we will often be required to
make long integrations.

At this very late date, I cannot advocate spending any more time
bringing another optimization to bear on the configuration problem,
but I will at least indicate to you that there is nothing special about
the Reuleaux triangle once we are out of the snapshot regime.

> The electromagnetic properties of thin
> rings like the Reuleaux are, in my opinion, very robust against quite
> substantial relocations.

Yup.

Take care,

	-Mark