[alma-config] Pseudo random arrays

Min S. Yun myun at bonito.astro.umass.edu
Wed May 23 16:41:04 EDT 2001

Hi Dave,

I read your draft memo with great interest.  It is good
to see a lot of these things spelled out mathematically.  Just a minor
caution to offer is that you cannot completely ignore
the baseline projection and earth rotation effect,
which is not easy to incorporate into this sort of analysis.
On top of page 4, you stated that "the near sidelobes are
complete rings and earth rotation synthesis will not
appreciably change or reduce them".  I agree with this
statement, but some reduction in near sidelobes
thru earth rotation has been seen in my imaging
simulations for sources not transiting
overhead.  The combined effect of earth rotation and
baseline projection is essentially smooth out the
radial distribution a little bit, i.e. transforming the
solid red line to dotted blue line in your Fig. 1.
However, the net effect is not substantial enough, as
demonstrated by your Fig. 3.

					-- Min

Min S. Yun				e-mail: myun at astro.umass.edu
Assistant Professor			phone:  (413) 545-2215
Astronomy Department			FAX:    (413) 545-4223
University of Massachusetts             http://www.astro.umass.edu/~myun
Amherst, MA 01003