[alma-config] site survey notes

John Conway jconway at ebur.oso.chalmers.se
Tue Jan 23 11:41:02 EST 2001

Hi,

RE: Brians email about the site and possible centres for
the main array.

Just to avoid confusion I note  that so far I have produced
3 versions  of the zoom array.  I will refer to them in future by the
names 'zoom1', 'zoom2' and 'zoom3'

zoom1  -    This is a quick sketch and is the one
              in memo 338

zoom2  -   This uses the SAME centre as
           the strawperson donut array. This is the
           version that Steven is simulating right now
           and is the one on the web at
           http://www.oso.chalmers.se/~jconway/ALMA/SIMULATIONS/SIM4/

zoom3 -  This is an offset design with a centre located
          at Brians second best position for the Chanjnantor site, the one
          near the containers
         (see at http://www.oso.chalmers.se/~jconway/ALMA/SIMULATIONS/SIM6/)

The detailed list of possible terrain conflicts that Al produced
and Brian comments on were based on the zoom2 design.

Brians comment below implies that all the zoom designs have
the same centre which is not so - and indeed the one being
simulated right now was deliberately chosen to have the same
centre as the donut - in order to compare like with like.