[alma-config] 14 km configuration

Min S. Yun myun at bonito.astro.umass.edu
Mon Feb 5 16:18:10 EST 2001

Hi Mark,

As someone might have told you already, 14 km has very little
to do with the double ring design and have far more to do with
the science driver of having the best angular resolution possible.
ASAC, particularly Karl Menten, was keen on having 20+ km array
because there is sufficient brightness sensitivity to do
intresting science.  Karl came up with a randomly distributed
pads with 20 km diameterto demonstrate this point.  Because this
particular array had outrigger stations like John's, its angular
resolution could be matched by a 14 km double ring array (as it
happens).  The number 14 km comes from the largest array we could
fit within the current science reserve.  Karl wants to go even
larger if we can expand the reserve boundary.

					-- Min