[alma-config] Mail from John Conway

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Wed Aug 1 11:50:07 EDT 2001

NB The file was too large and bounced into my mailbox.  I'll tryto get
them out and onto the agenda page by telecon time but I'm not optimistic
(right in the middle of getting a new machine).

Al

Hi,

Prior to the telecon  I
include two .ps files (hope they are not too big).

1) Shows the 5deg mask over the science preserve. The Blue circles
are pads and antennas for a zoom array centred on Chan South position
(actually  shifted about 50m to East and South). The centre of the array
is taken from Leonias latest 'one road' array. This is
a B array equivalent with 60 antennas used. The other
4 antenneas are assumed sited and used with ACA (see point
2 below)

The yellow and green lines show the path taken by some of us
in the April site visit around Chason. Some of this country
is dificult. I think the green route is a feasible way around
where antennas could be placed. Constraining antennas to lie
on a road through here, combined with a fair of degree of
freedom in Chajnantor plus Pampa La Bola should produce a
good and practical design for the 14km array hopefully
(using Fredrik Boones software might be especially useful
for this)

2) The second plot shows a close up of the centre of the
array showning Leonias 'Pac-Man' compact configuration
(those old enough will know what I mean), plus the start
of the intermediate configurations. One or two antenna
pad lie in formally blanked pixel, I have to check that.
The Red square is 60m on side and represents the region occupied by ACA
(taknne from a design which Francois sent me with 4, 12m antennas
at the corners and 12 x 6m inside that.

  John