[alma-config] compact configuration with 30m road wide

Leonia Kogan lkogan at aoc.nrao.edu
Mon Apr 23 15:54:31 EDT 2001

I have disigned the new compact configuration.

The configuration has 30meter road width and 200meters total size.
The 30 meter width roads allow the access to any antenna without stoping
of observation by any other antenna.

The previous configuration I put at my web side has 20 meter road wide and
160 meter total size. This configuration requires stop observatio at
some antennas to allow the transporter to get the antenna which we want to move.

So the last configuration has the advantage in accessebility to
antennas by transporter and safety and speed of antenna transportation
(the road is wider).

The price of this advantage is some loosing of brigtness sensitifity.

The comparison of the beam size is given at the following table

       Za,deg            0          25          30
       BEAM, ",20m   1.13x1.03   1.13x1.15   1.13x1.2
       BEAM, ",30m   0.95x0.82   0.95x0.91   0.95x0.93

It is seen from the table that the 'safe' configuration (W=30m) has
more narrow beam by 13% (in linear measure) and 28% less brigtness
sensitivity (square measure of the beam).

The question is:
Does the safety/speed of antenna transportation and the accessibility cost
the 28% loosing in the brightness sensitivity?

Leonia

 which in contrast to recentely put