[alma-config] CONFI

Leonia Kogan lkogan at aoc.nrao.edu
Mon Mar 6 11:29:03 EST 2000

Hi John,

I have put CONFI.FOR, CONFI.HLP, CONFI.OPT in the NRAO public ftp area
(/pub/staff/lkogan). You'll be able to find there the Bryan's mask file
in ASCII format which is required by CONFI. The mask files are huge.
So be ready to the long time operating with them.

The fitting process consists of two steps described in CONFI.HLP.
Of course you can ask me if it is not clear.

Some comments to your and Min's message:

CONFI optimizes side lobes inside of the given area at the sky.
Naturally outside of the optimization area side lobes can be much higher.

For the compact configuration the optimization area can be selected as the
primary beam of the antenna and then the side lobes outside of the optimization area will be suppressed by the primary beam.

For other configuration it is not clear which side lobes affect more
the image performance. I discussed this question with some people here
and there is an opinion that the far sidelobes are the less they
affect.

Optimising side lobes we automatically produce tapering in the UV coverage
and usually achieve a smooth UV coverage.

Of cource the final conclusion about a configuration can be done only after
simulation.

At this point I am even more pragmatic than you.

Leonia