[alma-config] simulated imaging test

Min Yun myun at aoc.nrao.edu
Mon Jul 31 16:25:34 EDT 2000

Hi Steven,

You seemed to have made quite a progress in finding your way
thru a dark and mysterious world of aips.  The web page you
put together looks nice, and this is a really nice jump off
point for further progress in the imaging simulation.

Stephane had a couple of good suggestions, and I agree with most
of those.  It will be difficult to compare the imaging performance
of the two strawperson arrays without the deconvolution, but
having the dirty beam and dirty maps would be a good first step.
The rest of us should put some effort into running our favorate
deconvolution routines on these images when they are ready --
thus need for the FITS images.  Will making the fits images cause
any practical problems for you?  We are talking about quite a few
bytes, I think.  We should work this out somehow if it is a
problem.

Just a couple of minor points on your display.  Comparisons would
be easier if the plots use the same ranges.  For example, you might
want to use the same uvrange (x-axis) for the "distribution of baselines"
plot and the same greyscale range for the "grey scale plot of dirty map".
We might twick a few more details like that as we go along, but
I like what you have done so far.

					-- Min