[alma-config] simulated imaging test

John Conway jconway at ebur.oso.chalmers.se
Mon Jul 31 08:14:28 EDT 2000

Hi,

 I think that doing it the way you have proposed, with a single
image for all reolutions will not be a useful exercise. In your
C-array simulation the model image is too simple, i.e. has too few
beam areas across the image, to distinguish between the imaging
properties of the different array designs. I predict that at this
level of complexity the two array designs will give very similar results.

I think that in order to test the different arrays one wants to use
the most complex images consistent with single pointing imaging. Is
the proposed C-array image of Cygnus A on your web page really the most
complex image one can imagine coming out of non-mosiaiced imaging
in C-array with ALMA? Surely that is what we want to have?

I believe its essential to have complex images with 4 or 5 pixels
per beam at each array tested and 100 - 200 beams across - as we
agreed in Tuscon - for there to be any point to doing the C-array
simulations (which are most important becausue they are  a proxy in fact
for 3 different arrays B,C and D). After all from a physical point of
view as one
goes to lower reolution if anything we expect to have more filled
beam areas because of imcreased brightness temperature sensitivity.
There is I agree a practical limit right now because we cannot easily do
simulations of  mosiacied images, but we should chose the
most complex images consistent with being in the regime which
we can easily simulate.

 Cheers
   John

P.S. I have put a corrected version of the A-array pad
positions on my web site.