[alma-config] remote login to NRAO computers

Bryan Butler bbutler at aoc.nrao.edu
Mon Jan 24 10:22:54 EST 2000

all,

i did some investigating on setting up an account for access
to NRAO computers (and AIPS++).

the basic story is that we can really do it however we want
to.  if we want to have one account that everybody logs in
to, that is OK (as long as the list of people who need to
get at it isn't too large, and with the understanding that
it won't be around forever).  if we want to have accounts
separately for each of you, that is also OK (and preferred
by the computing folk).

however, after discussing with athol, it is not clear that
having folks login remotely to an NRAO computer and running
AIPS++ is the right thing to do.  the most important
consideration is the fact that the AIPS++ image viewer is
really not meant to be run remotely.  in fact it seems to
be discouraged whenever possible.  this would make it
nearly impossible to have a look at images created in
AIPS++.  now, you could make images there, and then export
them (via FITS) to your own machine, but when doing
deconvolutions, it's kind of nice to have a visual display
of progress (IMHO).

athol thought that the best thing to do would be to have
everybody get the "standard" AIPS++ distribution (the one
on the CD) and install it (which he claims is so easy that
nobody should complain about that), then have the equivalent
of a "midnight job" which runs once a week or so to retrieve
the updates to the few tasks which are involved with the
simulation and imaging that we will need to use.

what does everybody think?

	-bryan