[alma-config] A few comments on John's simulations

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Wed Jan 19 11:56:38 EST 2000

Tamara Helfer writes:
  An
 > outstanding issue is whether it's better to optimize the arrays for
 > overall rms sidelobe level or for smallest "worst" sidelobe.
 > Another issue is if having an array with low sidelobes inside
 > the primary FWHM but having a high sidelobe lurking outside the
 > "optimized" region is a problem.
Fomalont commented on this, essentially, in a limited distribution email--the
shape of the sidelobes, he maintained, is as important
as their level.  For instance, a hole in the uv plane caused by a
missing cluster of antennas might cause a large rolling sidelobe of low
amplitude.  We have discussed the need for assessing missing groups of
antennas, to which this relates.

Al