[alma-config] topography mask

Seiichi Sakamoto seiichi at nro.nao.ac.jp
Fri Jan 14 12:30:01 EST 2000

Colleagues,

I personally prefer to make steps forward to develop the cost mask.
We can start from 2-levels and sophisticate our model
as we learn more about the geological conditions and the cost.
This approach will always provide us with the best estimate of
the construction cost of the proposed configurations,
and will also help us to clarify what should be known next
to sophisticate the model further.

On a different point: I do not really understand why each
configuration should be leveled to the local geoid.
Provided that each configuration is independent with the others
(that may apply at least to the maximum 10-km baseline),
linear tilt throughout the area of each configuration
may not bring extra complexity to the array.
So I suggest to use the second-order derivatives of the altitude
instead of the local surface gradients (the first-order ones).

Let me know your opinion.

Seiichi

Seiichi Sakamoto
LMSA/ALMA Project Office