[alma-config] topography mask

John Conway jconway at oso.chalmers.se
Fri Jan 14 04:59:57 EST 2000

Hi,

 The suggestion below from Simon sounds sensible to me, with
possibly the additional cost of the transporters  factored in.

{ Although I think we should also have a file with just the gradients
on ASAP so we can start work on going from
pure geometry to reality ]

The obvious unit of the cost function for pads
is the $$dollars$$ to contstruct a pad at a given position,
including the cost of cutting into the gradient, constructing
foundations given the subsurface geology etc.

However presumably  the unit costs of the transporters will scale
mainly as a  (high power) function of the maximum gradient
they will be able to deal  with. So a few pads in difficult places
_can_ in fact be a significant cost driver.

The road cost is a complex issue, the total length of roads
in most designs doesn't vary too much, even for spiral designs,
if one takes the shortest routes to pads (see memo 260, figure6c).
Presumably for high gradient sites the the cost per unit length will be
dominated by the last part of the  road leading to the pad, and can be
included into the pad cost. More detailed road models can be added later.

Perhaps we could have cost masks produced for three different
limiting  maximum gradients, with values of 0 for points
above the maximum gradient and the dollar cost elsewhere. We can
get an estimate from someone of the cost of a transporter as a
function of gradient.

Alternatively just a pad cost distribution over the site  and a gradient
distribution would be a good starting point.

As I said at the beginning we need the
former as soon as possible(!). Calculating the cost function is
difficult but the gradients I assume easy, and with that we can start
making the arrays more realistic.

 cheers
    John