[alma-config] Quick and Dirty Approach to Configuration

Mark A. Gordon mgordon at nrao.edu
Wed Jan 12 14:35:23 EST 2000

At the risk of asking what you already know, I would like to make a request
of the configuration group.

As most of you may know, my job in ALMA -- as it was with the MMA -- is to
estimate the cost of equipping and developing the Chilean sites -- exclusive
of antennas, receivers, correlators, and special purpose computers.  My
"Round Three" estimate of the cost of "site development" is due 1 March
2000.

It would be extremely helpful if your group could supply me with
configurations suitable for, at least, initially estimating the costs of
antenna pads and connections to the control building.  This could be quite
crude:  circles of specified diameters, each containing a specific number of
antenna stations.

At this point, it not necessary to worry about the details of the terrain.
Matching the configurations to the terrain could take a long time because of
the probable need to iterate; the antenna pads should avoid quebradas.  I
would guess that, in addition to discussions regarding the most effective
configurations, locating the antenna stations on the terrain will be a
time-consuming exercise -- one that is essential to get right.

For the moment, I need only a "quick and dirty" model that could work.

Regards to all,

--Mark

Mark A. Gordon
National Radio Astronomy Observatory
949 North Cherry Avenue, Bldg 65
Tucson, Arizona 85721-0655 USA
Tel: (520) 882-8250, x112 FAX: (520) 882-7955