[alma-config] Spiral with Terrain Constraints

John Conway jconway at oso.chalmers.se
Tue Feb 29 09:45:27 EST 2000

Hi,

 Min tells me that the email I sent to everyone just before the last
telcon with a possible spiral layout fitted into the terrain bounced
because it was too big (lots of large postscipt files).
It therefore did not get forwarded to everyone.
I have therefore added a slightly revised version
to my website at

http://www.oso.chalmers.se/~jconway/ALMA/SIMULATIONS/

I would welcome any comments about this design and in
particular the proposed array centre location.
Those familiar with the site geology/topography and
transpoter specifications etc might particularly
like to respond (this is why I'm also forwarding this
to Peter Napier, Lars-Ake Nyman, Angel Otarola etc). I'd like to have
an idea that the choice of array centre was at least feasible
before investing a lot of time in doing the
optimisation for uv coverage.

I will probably submit this new memo and the previous
one I did with imaging simulations to the general ALMA memo
series (let me know if you spot any serious
errors). Despite what I said in an earlier email, it probably
is useful to circulate it to a wider audience and people
outside this configuration group have been asking me
about both terrain and imaging issues.

   John.