[alma-config] History

Stephane Guilloteau guillote at iram.fr
Thu Feb 10 08:10:39 EST 2000

Just to add a little bit on the history side to John's text:

In the early 80's, when the IRAM array was designed, people were also not so
convinced
about the effectiveness of CLEAN, so an awfull lot of time (I think it was 2
months of
by the time quite expensive VAX-780 computer) got into computing the minimum
number
of stations which would cover from 16-m spacing to 288 by steps of 8 m.

It turned out after 10 years of operation that we only used 70 % of the
stations...

        Stephane

PS: by the way, you sometimes get better result with slightly lower angular
resolution when S/N is limited (Example: locating a marginally resolved
source).