[alma-config] Histograms, max, min, mean, rms, and fidelityplots for the C arrays

Stephane Guilloteau guillote at iram.fr
Wed Dec 20 08:56:10 EST 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Holdaway <mholdawa at cv3.cv.nrao.edu>
To: Steven <heddle at totalise.co.uk>
Cc: alma-config at zia.aoc.NRAO.EDU <alma-config at zia.aoc.NRAO.EDU>
Date: Tuesday, December 19, 2000 5:55 PM
Subject: Re: [alma-config] Histograms, max, min, mean, rms, and
fidelityplots for the C arrays

>A few notes on the fidelity calculations and Dec 18 simulations:
>

>General:
>
>All of the pages (ie, all model sources) say the mean fidelity was
>calculated over 66049 pixels.  I would have to say that the mean
>fidelities cited are incorrect (ie, they represent the fidelity calculated
>with the wrong mask or something).  For example, look at the Spiral
>configuration results for a long track observations on Mars, -23 d case:
>the distribution is fairly flat, out to 50;  you'd think the fidelity
>would be 25, but its quoted as 11.

    Beware of the log scale...

>M51 C array:
>
>The histogram of error values for the Donut array (mostly negative)
>indicates that it is lacking short spacings, as compared to the Spiral
>array.  As you go to longer tracks, the baselines are geometrically
>foreshortened, you get shorter spacings, and the histogram shifts more
>towards zero mean.
>
>I would argue that much of the difference in the fidelity histograms
>for the Donut and Spiral is due to the less complete short baseline
>coverage, and may not be intrinsically related to the general superiority
>of one configuration over another.
>
>A simple modification to the Kogan algorithm would be to simultaneously
>minimize the sidelobes on a variety of scale sizes (ie, even if you
>have 0.03 peak sidelobes at full resolution, you can have large regions
>of small negative sidelobes that, when smoothed to lower resolution,
>become a wopping monster sidelobe).  Optimizing the sidelobes
>simultaneously on several different scales would mandate superior short
>baseline coverage.  As there is not as much real estate in the short
    Yes indeed, however minimizing sidelobes at ALL scales will produce
better
results . This is what a Gaussian distribution of weights does to first
order, and the
Spiral pattern approaches the Gaussian quite nicely...

> portion of the (u,v) plane, improving that short spacing coverage is
>relatively inexpensive, and should not drastically affect the full
>resolution sidelobe level.  I believe I recommended such a modification
>to the Kogan algorithm several years ago.
>

>Cyg A, C array:
>
>The mean fidelity, etc:
>These numbers are dominated by the very faint emission that isn't showing
>up on your contour plots or grey scale images.  You might want to also
>put in a fidelity weighted by the pixel brightness, or have a higher
>flux cutoff to examine how well the bright stuff is imaged.

    One thing we found out usefull in understanding the fidelity is a
correlation (scatter)
plot of residuals vs intensity. The slope of that gives you the mean
fidelity... A similar
plot of fidelity vs intensity is quite interesting too

>We see the "Conway effect" pretty clearly in these snapshot/long track
>sims:  Since the Donut array is optimized for snapshots, it has larger
>near-in sidelobes, which are lower than the far out sidelobes for
>snapshots, but dominate for long tracks.  The Spiral configuration has
>lower inner sidelobes for both snapshot and long track observations.  So,
>the Donut array does better for snapshots on this particular image, but is
>surpassed by the Spiral configuration for long tracks.
>
>A key perspective for weighting the flip flop in snapshot/long track
>superiority is that achieving good image quality is more important
>for long observations where the thermal SNR will be higher, and hence
>the potential dynamic range will also be higher.

    That isn't completely true, because the SNR only goes as the square
root of the time, unfortunately. If an image is dynamic range / fidelity
dominated
it is unlikely to require extremely long integrations, thus. Snapshots may
be a bit
extreme, but short integrations ought to be considered.

>SDC:
>
>I don't understand how you are getting negative fidelities, unless the
>model brightness distribution has negatives in it, in which case we should
>probably take the absoulte value of the model image while doing the
>division.

    Yeah, take the absolute value. It doesn't matter anyhow.