[alma-config] Histograms, max, min, mean, rms, and fidelity plots for the C arrays

Steven steven at heddle97.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Dec 18 18:02:10 EST 2000

I have posted new sets of results for the C arrays on my pages, these
results available form the C arrays section on
http://www.heddle97.freeserve.co.uk/ALMA/CLEANIND.HTM

The results expand on the earlier CLEAN and difference results and now show
statistics of the difference images, and histograms of pixel values.
Further, as a first attempt at a fractional difference measure I have (I
believe) implemented the fidelity plots and histograms shown by Stephane.

I have taken the fidelity image as the ratio of (convolved model image) and
(absolute value of the difference image truncated at 0.7 x rms of difference
image). Importantly, in the figures shown this latter rms value is different
for each of the K and C array cases (i.e. the difference images for the K
and C arrays have different rms values), resulting in the C array Fidelity
image showing more structure despite (or as a consequence of) somteimes
having half the rms value for its difference image. For comparison I feel
that the same value should be used to truncate the denominator in both the K
and C cases.

Not being experienced in the interpretation of the fidelity images, I am not
sure whether I am raising more questions than are answered by their
provision, and realise now that it might have been useful to calculate
Leonia's fidelity range value in addition. Perhaps the simple histograms of
pixel value for the difference images are most immediately informative.
Nonetheless, the scripts to obtain these results are wriiten, and can
provide results for the A and B cases in about a day if required, or can
easily be changed.

I have not used the new version of UVCON as yet, but was reassured that most
difference image histograms were plausibly centred on zero, suggesting that
the scaling factor employed was correct.

Please let me know whether you wish the A and B results to be churned out,
or what changes I should make.

In the meantime, I will look at new UVCON, default images, FTs of difference
images, Christmas TV...

Seasons Greetings from Kirkwall-
    Cheers,
       Steven

Steven Heddle, Newington, Holm Road, Kirkwall, Orkney KW15 1PY
Tel: 01856 877119             Email: steven at heddle97.freeserve.co.uk
Fax: 0870 4039359           URL: http://www.heddle97.freeserve.co.uk