[mmaimcal] Re: [alma-config] Imaging simulations for ACA

Kouichirou MORITA morita at nro.nao.ac.jp
Wed Dec 13 04:43:44 EST 2000

Hi Mark,

> There is another way: to make the 12-m dishes point better.
> I would suggest a cost-benefit analysis here: from studies
> like Morita-san's, we can specify a 12-m pointing error which
> results in equivalent image quality to the 64 x 12m + 18 x 6m
> + smoothed 12m data.  Which costs more, to build the ACA, or
> to make the 12m antennas point better?

Good point!
To get equivalent image quality to ALMA + ACA by ALMA only,
we must improve the 12 m antennas pointing to half of
current pointing performance, which is RSS of current
spec and anomorous refraction.  That means the pointing
spec of the 12 m antennna should be <0.3 arcsec (Exact
number depends on the anomorous refraction).

Koh-Ichiro