[fitswcs] Polarization codes

Paddy Leahy j.p.leahy at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Mar 13 22:39:27 EDT 2008

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, Mark Calabretta wrote:

<snipped>... but I'm pleased to see we are in 40% agreement! Maybe more as
you'll see.

> (I'm not sure what you have in mind for "undefined").

Intended for archives which write a standard list of header keywords, but
may contain data for which the polarization is not known, too messy to
specify (eg. response varies substantially over the FOV) or not defined
(eg. polarization-independent beams, maps of UHECR arrival directions).

>> 2) The polarization specification is not an option in a list which
>> includes quantities like "optical depth" and "brightness" but is always
>> required in addition (even when the polarization product is something like
>> position angle).
>
> I agree with the first part (which is the same as your first point), but
> not with the comment about position angle since that is the measurement,
> e.g. how would you combine it with brightness, spectral index, or
> anything else?

Example: From (IQUV) absorption spectra, calculate the optical depth
separately for polarized and unpolarized emission. The ratio (fractional
polarization of optical depth) tells you something interesting about the
absorbing material. The polarized absorption may also be anisotropic,
hence there may be an angle for the polarized optical depth. This can
happen in theory for absorption by Zeeman-split lines, although I have to
admit that I've not heard about a measurement in an astronomical context.

Obviously an analogous procedure is possible for spectral index, though
I'm not sure what it would mean (differential "spectral indices" for Q and
U might indicate Faraday rotation). The usual angle of polarization
specifically refers to brightness (i.e. it gives the polarizer angle for
maximum response to emission), hence should be distinguished from angles
defined from optical depth etc. It's only because the other angles are
hardly ever used that you can usually forget this. (Like you, I want
conventions that will prove robust in the long term).

Building on your point that really we are dealing with vector-valued
quantities, right now the STOKES "axis" in practice just specifies 3 ways
of building such a vector (XX,..) (RR...) (I...), i.e. 3 coordinate
systems in the same space. Representations including angles are polar
coordinates, again in the same space. As Doug Tody mentioned, FITS handles
somewhat-similar cases (eg. frequency/velocity) by providing alternative
axis descriptors, and I suppose by analogy there could be alternative axis
descriptors for polarization. The axis descriptor would imply the
mandatory units like degrees and % (or plain number), saving all those
BTYPEi /BUNITi lines. Not sure if I like this because there are many more
possible quadruplets of polarizations quantities than quantities
themselves, so the standard would have to limit itself to a few "natural"
permutations. Also this would leave the current stokes "axis" looking even
more anomalous than now.

Instead, to preserve your contiguity requirement, which would be a nice
thing to do, how about this: Stokes 11-14 imply a 1 to 4 element vector
with components described by a new set of cards, eg

dataset 1:
NAXIS3  = 4
CTYPE3  = 'STOKES'
CRPIX3  = 11
POLCO1  =  'I'    / Implied unit is BUNIT
POLCO2  =  'Q/I'  / Dimensionless ratio
POLCO3  =  'U/I'  / Dimensionless ratio
POLCO4  =  'V/I'  / Dimensionless ratio

dataset 2:
NAXIS3  = 3
CTYPE3  = 'STOKES'
CRPIX3  = 11
POLCO1  = 'LinPolInt' / [BUNIT] Linearly polarized intensity
POLCO2  = 'PolAng'    / [deg] Polarization angle in degrees
POLCO3  = 'I'         / [BUNIT] Total intensity

Not sure if it's better to have the values as strings or numeric codes,
but in either case there would be a strictly limited set of allowed
values (viz: existing STOKES codes plus the ones in my original post),
with mandatory units (BUNIT/ratio/deg as appropriate).

Obviously this is byzantine compared to my original proposal. Depends how
important contiguity is felt to be, given that you can always write 4
extensions or stick 4 images in a bintable instead.

regards,
 	Paddy