[fitswcs] Units along spectral axes

Pedro Osuna Pedro.Osuna at sciops.esa.int
Fri Jun 10 04:27:31 EDT 2005

Dear William and all,

the problem mentioned by William is what led my colleague Jesus Salgado
and myself to formulate a possible solution using simple dimensional
analysis to handle units (in the context of the IVOA).

We basically propose that any unit should carry its dimensions and
scaling factor (based on SI, for instance) so that, for example, the
unit Jansky would appear like:

name=Jansky
symbol=Jy
scale=1E-26
dimeq=MT**-2

parsing is not needed anymore as the unit is not defined by the name but
by the dimensions MT**-2 1E-26.

This solves the problem mentioned by William, which is quite common.

We would have liked to propose the fits consortium to add two parameters
for the description of the units:

CDIMEQ
CSCALEQ

in this case, William's example would appear like:

CTYPEka  = 'WAVE-V2W'
CUNITka  = 'Angstrom'
CDIMEQ    = 'L'
CSCALEQ  = '1E-8'
RESTWAVa = 3.04E-8

besides solving many problems with the parsing (normally problematic due
to the different standards of same things) it allows for clients to
handle more complex problems.

This proposal deals with the definition of the units themselves
(carrying their own dimensions) and not with how to convert between
different physical quantities (which happens to be just one of its
applications).

Based on a commend from Dr. Greisen on this very same list to our idea,
we wrote a small paper on this issue with an example that shows how to
make use of this description of units to handle more complex problems
(in this case, spectra in VO context).

You can access the draft at:

http://esavo.esa.int/vodocs/DimensionalAnalysis_VOSpectra.pdf

Cheers,